Step 5: Recording Payments
As much as we love teaching, we’re also pretty passionate about getting paid. Let’s take a look at how to record a payment in the “Family Account”. Recording Payments:
- Navigate to “Families & Invoices” from the main menu on the left.
- Click on the “Zoom” tool (blue magnify glass icon) beside the family you would like to record a payment for.
- Click on the green “+ Add Transaction” button.
- When the “+ Add Transaction” pop-up appears select “Payment”, and enter all payment details.
- If you would like to send an email receipt for the payment, select “Send an email receipt”.
- Click the green “Save” button. Your newly recorded payment will now appear in the “Family Summary”.
Click Here for Step 6: The Final Step!
What’s the difference between a payment, a discount and a refund?
In TutorBird you can track “Payments”, “Discounts” and “Refunds” from your student families. There is a small but important difference between these three.
- Payment - A Payment is when a family pays you money. It’s any time you receive a check, cash, PayPal or any other form of payment.
- Discount - A Discount is when you want to reduce a family’s amount owing to you, but you haven’t received any form of money.
- Refund - A Refund is when you physically give money back to a family.
It’s important to distinguish between the three for tax purposes. When you receive a payment from a family, it’s counted toward your annual income. When you issue a discount to a family, it is NOT income. When you run an income report in TutorBird discounts are not included in that report because you did not receive any money when you issued those discounts.
When you issue a refund, money is returned to a family so your income decreases. Typically a refund is only issued in the case of over payment. For example, if a family accidentally pays you too much, and will not be taking lessons any more, you could issue a cash refund for the difference and return the excess money to them. A refund should NOT be used if you are not physically returning money (cash, check, PayPal, etc.).
Can I accept online payments and credit cards?
Yes! We don’t mess around when it comes to helping you get paid. TutorBird integrates with both Stripe and PayPal so students can pay you online. Details of payments made through TutorBird are automatically captured so data entry is done for you!