Why are my Online Resources files uploading slowly?
There are many reasons why a file might be uploading slowly to TutorBirds' Online Resources. But never fear, there are some things you can try!
In general, the amount of time it takes to upload a video to TutorBird is outside of our control. We do not limit upload speeds! If your upload is slower than expected, it could be due to multiple factors, including:
- Lower overall upload speeds provided by your particular Internet plan
- Time of day / peak hours of usage with your Internet Service Provider (ISP)
- Increased traffic on your local network
- Incorrect network, firewall, or router settings
To make sure you're getting the most out of your connection, there are a couple things you can try:
- Restart your modem and router
- Plug your computer directly into your modem using an ethernet connection and disable WiFi
- End or pause any activities on your network that might be consuming or regulating bandwidth like Netflix
If you're still not getting the speed you expect, try using this speed test to get a sense of your current bandwidth.
Upload speeds are usually measured in thousands or millions of bits per second - Kbps or Mbps. It's important to note that bits (lower case "b") are not the same thing as bytes (upper case "B"). In other words, a 500 megabyte (MB) file will take more than 5 seconds to upload on a 100 Mbps connection.
Did you know?
You can calculate how long it should take to upload a file!
Let's say your speed test result is 5 Mbps (5 megabits per second) and you're trying to upload a 50 MB (megabyte) file.
First, use Google to convert your megabits into megabytes. Search query: "5 Mbps to MB/s"
Next, divide your file size (50 MB) by the result of your query (0.625 megabytes per second).
The result of this equation (50 / 0.625 = 80) tell you how many seconds your upload should take if the bandwidth is consistent.
In other words, a 50MB file should take about 80 seconds on a 5 Mbps internet connection.
Contact us if you've done the math and think that your uploads to TutorBird are still slower than they should be. Be sure to share a link to the results of your speed test!